Our Odyssey

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Target Practice


On Friday, me and mom’s friend Brian went to a firing range in west Virginia, a new state for me! The entire experience was very exciting to me, since I had never shot a real gun before in my life. I enjoyed myself very much and every single part of it was exciting to me. I would like to thank Brian for taking me and teaching me how to shoot the different guns. Even the trip to the firing range was exciting, especially the end, with the terrifyingly curvy roads. Once again, thank you very much Brian.



We left around 9 o’clock and were immediately on the road, with a good breakfast of mini wheats in my stomach. We were short on some of our different kinds of ammo and I had no sound-blocking earmuffs, so we stopped at a Wal-mart to pick up said equipment. We arrived in the sporting goods section to find that their ammo cases were dry of the 30-30 bullets that we so craved. We left the store empty-handed and vowed vengeance as we left. Our next encounter with a Wal-mart would hopefully be more successful than the last.
And it was. We picked up ammo, sound-blocking goggles, and some extra targets for good measure, then were back on the road, sun blazing on our backs. Brian showed me some of his favorite music (and good music it was) as we drove through the beautiful state of Virginia. After a while of driving on highways, we hit a beautiful mountain road that twisted and turned. Soon we hit the west Virginia state line and 30 minutes later, we were in the firing range, unpacking our guns (only one other guy was there, and he had a beautiful muzzle-loading .50-caliber rifle)
We set up our targets, checked our guns and loaded clips. I was ready to take my first shot.



I sighted down my scope, aimed for the middle and took my shot. Up and to the left. This pattern continued, and I slowly corrected the lens. I put one of the green and black targets right on top of the other one ad took my first shot. Right through the middle. I finally had the rifle sighted in correctly. I finished the clip and set the rifle down. I tried some shots with the pistol, got some in the target.


After some time with the pistol and a few shots with the 30-30 rifle while Brian blew up some plastic targets with his revolver pistol. We finished up and packed up, put it all in the car and began the return home. On the way home, we saw an awesome swarm of bats fly overhead. We got some very late lunch and came home. I enjoyed my time on the firing range with Brian and when we see Brian again, I would love to do this again. When we got home, mom and will were at a party, so we chilled awhile.

1 comment:

  1. I read this to your Papa and he is so proud of you. Me too and we miss you all. (There's still some of the chocolate ice cream and five cans of cream soda!)
    22

    ReplyDelete