Our Odyssey

Monday, September 21, 2009

Memphis



Towers along the Mississippi River near Beale Street

Thus far, my time camping in Memphis has been a blast. All of the tourist attractions are great fun and being in the birthplace of the blues has been a truly enlightening subject for my studies. I have started to take my placement exams to see which level of math I am going into (frown). But other than that, my time in memphis has been a nonstop blast to the past.

Mom, being a foodie, has been totally up on the food culture of Memphis, meaning that we have gone to tons of barbeque restaurants in the past six days. Gus’s fried chicken had great chicken tenders and great root beer too. The Cozy Corner had the best ribs I had ever eaten and was a very cozy corner as well. Today, we had central barbeque, which supposedly had the best ribs in Memphis, but in my opinion, they don’t even compare to cozy corners. I have learned a lot about what good barbeque really tastes like.

Though the living conditions of the RV have been steadily decreasing due to dogs, rain and king of the stupids liking to dump his food on the ground before eating it, my time in the RV is steadily becoming more and more fun. I am beginning to get used to the regular traditions of the RV and am beginning to get really into it. I only wish that I could have more time outside.

The Martin Luther King assassination site, at the Lorraine motel, as seen from the approximate location of the assassin.

On Friday, Will, Mom and I all hopped in the car and took off for the Civil Rights Museum. After the short drive to the museum, we hopped back out of the car to the view of a wreath hanging from the balcony of the Loraine hotel, the place where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. We slowly walked through the museum, taking a look at every exhibit. Across the street, in the building that Ray had shot Martin from, was another gallery, which we took the time to look at.


On Beale Street


Ben throws a right in a speakeasy brawl.

We went to another main attraction, Beale Street, the next day. Full of live performances, restaurants, bars and more, we did not have the time to tour the whole area, but we saw a good portion of it. Yesterday, Mom and Will went clubbing at night on Beale street. Due to age restrictions, I could not go with them.

1 comment:

  1. haha Ben that was such an epic post xD
    bravo!!
    shame you couldn't go clubbing with the grownups though :(
    wow seeing that picture of Martin Luther King's assasination site was amazing, especially as I recognized it from all the pictures in my textbooks and online that I'd seen before. That must have really been something.

    ReplyDelete